Four of Five

Four of Five

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Extreme Gardening

     Today I spent about 6 hours in the garden.  I must have poured out at least a gallon of sweat.  What was I doing? For the warm up, I inspected and pruned the six tomato plants we have. I tethered them better to the "stakes", which are merely saplings cut down during early clearing of the garden area. As I surveyed the garden wondering what I should do next, I noticed there was too much shade on the garden. The culprits were two small trees that I judiciously cut down with an axe. This was not an extremely difficult task, but it sure in the heck was not easy. By the time I was finished with that, I was in dire need of a water break.
     After getting some water, changing over some laundry, making the kids some lunch and then cleaning up, I went down to see about making a small place for some seeds in the wilderness-becoming-a-garden area.  I began clearing, then I cleared a little more. I started off with raking up some underbrush, progressed to pulling many roots out of the ground, and ended up with an all-out assault on the untouched patch of ground that is now about a 12X3' bed for some beans and carrots. I wrestled with that patch of ground until it became a fully submitted piece of earth that will (God willing) grow some food for my family. I am exhausted, but I feel very accomplished. AND I feel good because I had to have burned some serious calories!

2 comments:

  1. Love the new look of your blog, with all the kids on there and things about them. Time has gone by so fast. They all have become something great. You did good mom!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working on my garden TOO! But you were definitely working harder.

    ReplyDelete